Analyst, Solution Management
ABOUT IT AT CN
CN harnesses the power of information every minute of every day to make better decisions. Almost every aspect of our business relies on technology; this is why CN invests around $100 million every year on IT projects and infrastructure. And with close to 1,000 in-house employees, CN’s IT team is more than a first-class technology shop – they’re railroaders, dedicated to helping our people work smarter and our trains run safely.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB
As the SRS Application Support (Service Reliability System), you will be responsible for Waybilling primarily and with other opportunities in areas such as Service Scheduling and Customs – you will come to learn the ins and outs of the Waybill system and processes, in order to provide our business community with reliable production support.
This role is responsible to produce properly programmed and tested software solutions to meet defined business requirements. This involves activities like producing technical design specifications for solution components when needed, programming, testing, analyzing, maintaining and documenting new and/or existing software applications.
You are a committed, curious and assiduous individual, and you want to be working with people who welcome outside-the-box solutions, and who will give you the latitude to dig and explore.
- Analyze system issues or business requirements to design effective solutions
- Coordinate the delivery of a complete solution, provide work estimates
- Write new, or modify existing program code based on physical design and/or programming specifications.This includes documenting the program code
- Conduct unit testing and integration testing when required. Document and execute test scripts/data.
- Ensure optimal re-use and leveraging of existing program components versus the need for the development of new and/or customized functions.
- Contribute to, and if required prepare, implementation plan details, including deployment, cutover and fall-back. Report progress status and issues.
- Apply, and ensure compliance with, all appropriate CN IT standards (e.g. Code Standards, Security, Architecture, SOX, etc.)
10+ years experience with programming language Natural/Cobol, preferably on mainframe platform
5+ years’ experience in a leadership role.
Functional design skills an asset
Previous experience in a support role of critical applications
Bilingualism with high proficiency in English (spoken and written)
Strong analytical skills
Understanding of batch processing concepts, knowledge of Job Control Language (JCL) an asset
Efficient time management skills and multi-tasking capabilities
Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
Experience with CN Material and Management solution
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.