The General Supervisor is responsible for managing a team of multi-discipline trades workers. The General Supervisor determines staff requirements and oversees work assignments within an assigned Area. The General Supervisor is responsible for ensuring all work is carried out in accordance shipyard safety, quality, and environment standards, policies and procedures. To ensures standards are met the General Supervisor will regularly check on performance, conduct performance management tasks, including but not limited to: disciplining staff, approving staff time cards, leave requests and ensuring the collective agreement is applied equitably. The position reports directly to a Trades Manager and requires significant interaction with other Trade Managers.
- Partners with Trade Managers to ensure trade workers have the skills, equipment, training and certifications required to perform planned work activities.
- Escalates technical trade issues with Trade Managers and implements solutions as identified by Trade Managers.
- Responsible for decisions relating to the termination of employment, as well as responsible for the promotion and/or demotion of bargaining unit employees..
- Follows and enforces the collective agreement and management practices to manage labour effectively.
- Responsible for timekeeping administration of direct reports and indirect reports.
- Ensures work progression in accordance with safety, cost, quality and schedules.
- Directly responsible for the safety of all reporting trades employees.
- Implements HSEQ plans on shop floor and strives to eliminate safety hazards at every opportunity along with all reporting employees.
- Responsible for interpreting work order specifications and manufacturing information, ensuring work orders are completed, keeping updated on standards and changes in plans, and provisioning materials in the case of unavailability.
- Manage trades employees by providing workers as dictated by work schedules and Area Managers and/or SOC Managers.
- Allocates manpower in accordance with schedule and priorities, assigning workers with the skill and ability to efficiently complete scheduled work.
- Responsible for all discipline, including performance/attendance management, termination of employment, as well as promotion and/or demotion of bargaining unit employees
- Reports status to Area Managers and/or SOC Managers.
- Responsible for delivering production in accordance with VSY and customer quality standards.
- Ensure all employees are provided with a work environment that is respectful and harassment free.
- Works with Facilities personnel to ensure Area’s trade equipment is maintained and procured in a cost effective manner.
- Works with disability and rehabilitation consultants in assisting injured employees to return to work on graduated return by identifying appropriate tasks and conditions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- College degree or trades certification is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of related work experience; or advanced education in a related field with 2 years related work experience.
- Previous supervisory experience an asset
- Proficient knowledge of trade responsibilities specific to heavy manufacturing (welding, metal fabrication, electrical, pipefitting, paint/sandblasting, mechanical, rigging).
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficient with MS Office products and web based applications.
- Able to build an effective team and lead change.
- Possess excellent management and leadership skills and the ability to motivate and work with and through others to achieve desired results.
- Appreciates and understands the value of diversity within a team.
- Conflict resolution and negotiations skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bring a problem-solving attitude to conflicting approaches and priorities involving others.
- Experience in the application of behavioural based safety
- Strong written, verbal and electronic communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to make mature and timely job site decision.