Position Title: Junior Integrated Logistics Support (ILS) Specialist
Team: Engineering (6 month Temp)
LEONARDO DRS, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia and is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo which employs more than 45,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on LEONARDO DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in the defense and aerospace industry.
DRS Technologies Canada Ltd. (DRS Canada), is a leading mid-tier Canadian defence electronics company specializing in military voice and data communications systems; electro-optics (EO) and infrared search and tracking systems (IRST); command, control, communications, computers and intelligence (C4I) systems integration; deployable flight data recorders; and defence/space electronics manufacturing.
This is a 6 month temporary contract position for a Junior ILS (Technical Writer) who has a passion for writing and a natural curiosity for how things work and enjoys making products and processes easy to understand.
Do you know how to dig into a feature and find the issues that are likely to confuse a user? Can you create new content from scratch and improve existing documentation while maintaining a consistent style and tone? Do like working with, and learning from, a group of passionate people who are driven to build new solutions to complex problems?
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Lead Technical Writer to understand business line objectives and how that translates to writing activities
- Attend reviews with Developers and other Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to pick up information which can enhance documentation manuals.
- Proofread and edit technical documentation for clarity, accuracy, grammar, consistent terminology, and style.
- Take ownership of documentation for one or more product features, gaining an understanding of the task at hand through hands-on lab work to understand both high-level product concepts and small details.
- Collaborate closely with product managers to ensure your content is correct, complete, clear, and understand first-hand where users might experience difficulty.
- Look for opportunities to improve the existing documentation, adding illustrations and flow diagrams as necessary.
- Ensure that all new and updated documentation you generate is peer reviewed and maintains a consistent style, tone, and approach by following a style guide.
- Consult with the Product and Development teams to manage expectations around program delivery milestones.
- Analyze engineering change documentation requests to determine applicability and scope of effort on logistics support activities.
- Prepare training material for all levels of product maintenance and operator training.
- Must possess an inquisitive mind to dig into details and navigate documentation and product operations.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Ability to manage your time effectively when faced with competing priorities.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with little direct supervision.
- University degree or certificate in English or Technical communication, or equivalent experience
- Excellent computer skill using Microsoft products such as MSWORD, Excel, PowerPoint at a minimum
- Solid understanding of working with Adobe products
- Some knowledge or familiarity with Interactive Electrical Technical Manuals (IETM) would be an asset
- Some knowledge of Product Life Cycle activities would be an asset
- Some knowledge of an Agile work environment would be an asset
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada and meet Controlled Goods Clearance requirements; a minimum of 5-years continuous residence in Canada and a police background check are mandatory.
Special needs of candidates with disabilities will be accommodated. DRS is dedicated to Employment Equity. The successful candidate(s) must fulfill requirements for U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and Canadian security clearance. DRS Technologies Canada Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants may apply to this position online at www.leonardodrs.com careers. #DRSCanada