Are you looking for a job where you can make a difference and feel good about what you do?
The BC Family Maintenance Enforcement Program (FMEP) is a provincial government program that monitors and enforces maintenance orders and agreements (for either child support or spousal support). Many maintenance payments are paid on time and in full, but in some cases the FMEP will get involved to track and collect the payments.
We are responsible under the Family Maintenance Enforcement Act for monitoring and enforcing all maintenance orders and agreements that are filed with us. That means we will calculate arrears, receive, record and forward payments. We will try to ensure required maintenance payments are made and take action, and if necessary, secure payments. For more information about the FMEP, please visit www.fmep.gov.bc.ca
This challenging and rewarding Legal Secretary position involves being a member of the legal team and provides administrative support to FMEP Legal Counsel. The Legal Secretary position also interacts with and assists other Program staff including case workers and managers in their administration of FMEP cases.
- Prepares the legal case file and supporting documentation, prepares and compiles precedents, correspondence, and court and other registry documents and ensures all are available to Counsel prior to scheduled court dates.
- Arranges for timely delivery and service of Court and other documents to court registries and other parties as required.
- Provides follow up support for court appearances, checking, receiving and entering documents as required.
- Communicates effectively with clients, external counsel, court staff, Ministry of Human Resources, reciprocating jurisdictions and other community agencies to enhance and expedite client service; resolves telephone complaints when appropriate. Provides case information to clients appropriately.
- Prioritizes actions effectively in order to respond to numerous, diverse challenges and demands.
- Maintains current knowledge base of changes to legislation and FMEP policies, procedures and computer system; understands and keeps up-to-date on applicable parts of Family Law and other legal aspects and how these are applied in FMEP activities. Learns unique job-related vocabulary, systems and processes. ·
- Contributes to positive working relationships within the team, based on mutual support and encouragement, and identifying and helping to resolve problems both in the work itself, and interpersonally among team members.
- Works independently and completes projects or responds to problems in a timely manner without constant supervision.
- Works constructively with the Legal Counsel Team and coworkers to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of the team and keeps supervisor informed of problems and suggestions arising from the work. Proactively provides solutions to improve work flow and client service for both lawyers and legal secretaries. ·
- Completes work at a level that visibly demonstrates FMEP's goals are being met.
Requirements: To be successful, a candidate must:
- Have a minimum of two years experience as a legal secretary.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently with little instruction and supervision.
- Have excellent word processing skills and keyboard speed of 65 wpm
- Strong English language skills, including grammar and proof-reading.
- Relate well to all kinds of people - internally and externally, builds appropriate rapport and is approachable.
- Work well with peers. Versatile learner; open to change and enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar.
We offer a wonderful team based working environment and an opportunity to work with a great group of people who are dedicated to helping and making a difference to families in BC. Our comprehensive benefit package includes extended health and dental benefits, disability insurance benefits, a defined-benefit pension for permanent employees and a generous vacation policy. Come join our team where you can develop your career and have work/life balance.
The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. This is a unionized position and is covered by the BCGEU/THEMIS collective agreement.
Salary is comensurate with experience