Position Title: MANAGER, ENGINEERING SERVICES
LEONARDO DRS, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia and is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo, which employs more than 47,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture, which rewards performance. For additional information on LEONARDO DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in the defense and aerospace industry.
DRS Technologies Canada Ltd. (DRS Canada), is a leading mid-tier Canadian defence electronics company specializing in military voice and data communications systems; electro-optics (EO) and infrared search and tracking systems (IRST); command, control, communications, computers and intelligence (C4I) systems integration; deployable flight data recorders; avionics systems engineering; training and simulation systems; defence/space electronics manufacturing.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Engineering Services Manager shall manage all aspects of the Engineering Services team, providing a suite of technical services to both Manufacturing and Engineering departments. The successful candidate will lead and where necessary mentor a team including Managers, Engineers and Technologists. This position shall provide oversight on activities including ILS; Component Engineering; Manufacturing Engineering; Product Support services; test lab management; New Product Introduction and Process engineering. The Engineering Services Manager will work in tandem with members of Engineering, Program Management and Manufacturing staff, taking a direct “hand-on” role with ownership as needed.
Major Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead a multi-disciplined team of Engineers and Technologist staff.
- Coordinates and supports projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities.
- Confers with management and other departments to discuss project specifications and procedures.
- Administers documents, system access rights, and revision control to comply with management configuration policies in order to guarantee the integrity of master documents.
- Build and maintain cross-functional working relationships to ensure coordination between Engineering and Manufacturing departments
- Leads and directs Component Engineering activities to support and mitigate obsolescence ahead of program development
- Ensures that Integrated Logistics Services (ILS) are directed to provide services related to Systems Engineering, Manufacturing, Process activities and customer deliverable documentation
- Take a leading role in the preparation and conduct of Manufacturing Readiness Reviews (MRR)
- Provides effective lab management techniques as a support to Engineering Test activities; Manufacturing test activities; calibration and support for Automated Manufacturing test infrastructure
- Advocates and delivers structured processes to ensure bi-directional trouble ticket communication between engineering and manufacturing.
- Participate in Triage meetings; tracks defect metrics for customer found issues, defect creation and defect resolution
- Provides direction and orients employees toward roles and responsibilities.
- Develops norms and a collaborative environment.
- Implements innovation and change effectively.
- Determines staffing requirements and work schedules based on goals.
- Eliminates waste and promotes Lean environment.
- Seeks, develops, and promotes a continuous improvement philosophy.
- Mentors supervisor(s) and team leader(s) to manage people, identifies training programs and processes in a culture based on accountability, personal growth, lean thinking, and mutual respect.
- Sets personal objectives, motivates, communicates, measures, and develops employees.
- Establishes and implements short and long term organizational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Monitors and evaluates operational effectiveness.
- Leads department toward common goals and values in line with the vision of the company.
- Handles all aspects of personnel management in conjunction with the Director of Engineering and Human Resources, such as disciplinary actions, hiring, and promotions.
- Determines staffing requirements and work schedules based on objectives.
- Provides guidance/direction to staff, including setting performance standards, goals, and monitoring performance.
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology, and applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment for the design and production of various products.
- Knowledge of circuit boards, configuration management, Design for Manufacturing, Design of Experiment, Lean engineering, and Integrated Product development principles.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Must be capable of developing realistic plans, goal setting, balancing short and long-term goals, and aligning plans with company/department goals, resource management, risk management, and contingency planning.
- Must have leadership skills necessary to develop a shared sense of purpose, implement corporate policies, skilfully handle difficult situations and conflict, and understand/promote the company’s and department’s mission and values.
- Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems in a cost/schedule efficient manner.
- Must be proficient in ensuring customer satisfaction, setting realistic customer expectations, owning and solving customer problems, meeting commitments to customers, seeking out customer input and responding to customers.
- Must be capable of working on team projects, exchanging ideas and opinions, managing conflict, working with other departments and developing effective working relationships, and coordinating and cooperating with others.
- Must have ability to adapt to change and to be open to new ideas and taking on new responsibilities.
- Must be adept at handling pressure and uncertainty and adjusting work plans to meet changing company needs.
- Must be willing to work off/extended hours when required, meet attendance requirements, meet schedule requirements as assigned and to maintain a positive attitude during off/extended hours.
- Strong deductive and problem solving skills; strong oral, written and listening skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years management experience involving Engineering Services, Quality and Manufacturing environments
- Must have a solid understanding of Hardware design; manufacturing processes; configuration Control and Process Engineering
- Experience in Agile Development processes is considered an asset
- Experience with DOORS Requirement management is considered an asset
- Experience with digital and analog test equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, traffic generators, and Serial protocol testers is an asset
Special needs of candidates with disabilities shall be accommodated. DRS Technologies Canada Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate(s) must fulfill requirements for U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and Canadian security enhanced reliability clearance
Applicants may apply to this postion online at www.leonardodrs.com Careers. #DRSCanada