The Manager, Program Controls is responsible for the management and administration of program controls in support of repair and conversion programs at Seaspan, Victoria Shipyards. As a project management expert, the Manager, Program Controls is responsible for supporting the various Program Directors in program/project scope, schedule, cost, resource, communications, and risk management. This includes the development of program/project plans, schedules, schedule/time risk analysis, project and program metrics, standardized reporting and Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS). This position is responsible for leading and managing a team of approximately six personnel in the delivery of project analytics/EVMS, project/program risk management, project change management, scheduling, and office administration. The Manager, Program Controls works directly with the Vice President, Project Delivery and indirectly with Program Directors/Managers, Production, Operations, Finance, and Supply Chain team members to support program/project planning, performance and forecasts.
- Create, update and communicate project and program metrics including trend analysis for use by Program and Project managers to determine status and identify where problems may be occurring.
- Assists in the development of project management plans.
- Create, update and communicate schedule information at the integrated master schedule (whole of yard), Program/Project Milestone and Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) levels.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining program risk registers and risk reviews.
- Responsible for performing time/schedule risk analysis (TRA/SRA) at the project level.
- Responsible for establishing standardized project reporting across all repair and conversion programs at Victoria Shipyards.
- Creates and updates project EVMS reports including interpretations and explanations as a critical tool to determine the overall status and future expected outcome of the projects (both cost and schedule).
- Creates cost models and analysis to support strategic initiatives and evaluation of repair and conversion programs and contracts. Support the development of cost models required to determine the potential outcomes of various contract scenarios.
- Assists in the development of long-range financial projections to be included in consolidated forecast models. The forecasts will be important to project profitability but also to identify any cash flow issues.
- Assists in the development of the repair and conversion program annual budgets and forecasts.
- Assists in the development of Business Intelligence reporting to enhance project operational and financial understanding/requirements.
- Assists the Vice President, Project Delivery and Program Directors/Managers in presenting and explaining metrics.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Finance or Commerce. MBA is an asset, but not essential.
- Certification as a Project Management Professional with the Project Management Institute
- 7-10+ years of relevant experience in program management, project controls or business/financial analysis in a complex multi-project or program environment.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- A leader with a proven track record of leading teams in a matrix organization.
- Strong influencing, interpersonal and communication skills.
- High levels of computer literacy including Microsoft Word, Excel. PowerPoint and MS Project. Experience with Power BI considered an advantage.
- Excellent working knowledge of an advance planning tool (e.g. Primavera)
- Enhanced analytical skills (both qualitative and quantitative) including the ability to gather and synthesize data into meaningful metrics or analysis and interpret and convey results to a broad audience in simple terms
- Excellent oral and written communications, including the ability to communicate with others with tact and diplomacy.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Above average problem solving skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure while being adaptable and open-minded to change and improvements.
- Ability to lead or work within a team environment but also independently.
- Knowledge of contractual arrangements.