The Manager, Repair is responsible for management and execution of all Ship Repair works at Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd. (VSY). The role has accountability for the budget, schedule, quality and safety performance of all works on Ship Repair projects at VSY. Responsibilities include ensuring projects are properly staffed and supervised to meet established schedules and contractual requirements. The role is responsible for ensuring that all work is performed in accordance with current ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards. The role requires the provision of leadership, direction and expectation setting to the Ship Repair Department, including the fostering a culture of continuous process improvement.
- Manages cost, schedule, quality and safety for all VSY Ship Repair work.
- Ensures the allocation of manpower to projects in accordance project schedules and priorities.
- Monitors work progress with subordinates to assess job status. Provides guidance, direction and corrective action where required to ensure Company and Contractual expectations are met.
- Champions VSY’s safety and environmental programs by instilling safety and environmental compliance as core priorities in all operational activities and developing an operational staff dedicated to providing a safe, accident free, environmentally compliant workplace.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and support to direct reports by communicating daily, conducting regular meetings, arranging for required training, and ensuring sufficient inter-shift communication to maintain an effective and productive operation.
- Develops effective operational communications where all subordinates are provided with the information, guidance and performance expectations necessary to fulfill their role.
- Manages and assists in providing input to new projects for build strategy development, project schedules and cost estimates.
- Works with subordinates to analyze tools, equipment, jigs and fixtures for application to VSY operations. Provides recommendations to Purchasing Department.
- Specifies and assists Purchasing Department in procuring consumable materials for VSY’s Ship Repair Projects.
- Ensures the maintenance of departmental records including certifications and training records.
- Ensures compliance with union agreement and WCB regulations.
- Develops and monitors initiatives to improve departmental skill and productivity by liaising with the relevant stakeholders and project managers in assessing skill and work habits of individual employees. Directs training as required.
- Maintains positive relationships with customers by ensuring work is completed in accordance with contractual requirements and communicating project progress.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of 10 years experience in a managerial role at a Shipyard or related industry.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business would be desirable.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered
- Experience managing a large multi-discipline project with a unionized workforce is required.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Strong Operations background with excellent Project and Trade Management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team in support of Project goals with the skills to multi task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Excellent technical skills with ability to read and interpret complex technical specifications and drawings.
- Knowledge of modern Shipbuilding and/or Production methods, procedures, equipment and tools.
- Knowledge of Quality principles and ISO standards.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, communication, negotiation, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- High standard of business conduct and ethics with ability to manage situations and issues with integrity and honesty.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a strong customer service focus.
- Excellent computer skills including Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Ability to work with limited direction.