The Office Administrator is responsible for providing confidential secretarial and administrative support to the Ship Repair Department. This involves performing a range of functions, such as preparation of confidential correspondence, formatting/preparation of presentations and various reports in addition to electronic management of the file structure.
This role must balance multiple competing priorities and tasks with efficiency, diplomacy and good judgment.
- Prepares confidential correspondence and presentation materials independently and/or as directed.
- Prepares letters, reports, memorandums, meeting agendas and minutes, scope of work and other materials from copy, rough draft and other sources.
- Attends regular scheduled and ad hoc meetings, takes minutes and prepares/updates action item lists.
- Creates and executes Excel spreadsheets.
- Maintains the security access data for the following data bases
- Program File Structure
- Collaborative Environment sites (Aras, IFS, SharePoint).
- Handles general office administration functions, including receiving and distributing incoming mail, establishing and maintaining department filing systems, ordering supplies and materials, coordinating the maintenance of office equipment, collecting, organizing and preparing data for a variety of forms, reports and records, and obtaining approval signatures as necessary.
- Performs duties for the departments, such as greeting visitors, answering and transferring phone calls, providing information that requires knowledge of the Shipyard’s operations and the responsibilities of department employees.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, appointments and travel arrangements for Repair personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 education, plus post secondary courses relevant to executive administration.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in an office environment.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Intermediate to excellent skill in MS Office; including Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and Visio.
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals in various departments.
- Knowledge of general office/administrative procedures and commonly used office equipment (i.e. machines, photocopiers, printers, etc.).
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Accuracy and a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills.
- Appreciation for confidentiality in all matters including intellectual property, company financial information and government reports.
- Minimum of 60 WPM keyboarding skills.
- Good understanding of safety requirements in a safety sensitive environment.