This position is for Deco Automotive, a division of Cosma International.
Cosma International, an operating unit of Magna International, is one of the world's premier global automotive suppliers providing a comprehensive range of body, chassis, and engineering solutions to our customers. Our pioneering technology and creativity allows our customers to ask for solutions that lie beyond what they previously thought was possible.
Deco Automotive, located in Rexdale and Brampton, Ontario is an automotive parts manufacturing facility that produces structural automotive components for Original Equipment Manufacturers ("OEM") including BMW, Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Tesla, and Toyota/Lexus. Deco Automotives' capabilities include; Stamping, Hydroforming, Laser, CNC Machining, E Coating, Steel and Aluminum Assembly. We are certified in ISO/TS 16949 and ISO 14001.
The Senior Buyer is responsible for the procurement and management of components for the front / rear suspension assembly modules, related purchased and directed-buy components as well as production and prototype tooling for the components listed above. Additionally, the Buyer may need to support our MRO operations, and cost savings initiatives in MRO.
- Develops and executes effective bidding, negotiation, and pricing strategies to provide a strong competitive advantage in a manner that meets our budgets, policies, ethical standards and audit requirements
- Prepares RFQ/Bid packages for diverse commodities including but not limited to Raw Material (Steel, Aluminum coil steel), Stampings, Fasteners, Sleeves, Aluminum Extrusions and Aluminum Castings, several major MRO related commodities etc.
- Consults with internal team in reviewing scope of work for RFQ process, supplier quote proposal and recommend suppliers based on detailed quote analysis. Reviews detailed cost breakdowns and provides recommendations on supplier target pricing
- Continually work with Supply base to identify Cost Saving opportunities and strive to achieve Cost Saving targets assigned by Management.
- Establishes supply chains to ensure a continuous supply of purchased components, directed-buy components, and tooling
- Supports the Materials team with on time delivery as needed
- Issues capital and tooling addendums, reviews GSA and QPF supplier ratings, conducts supplier integrity checks, and requests financial audits as needed
- Participates in design reviews in conjunction with Design, Supplier Development, Tooling and Quality Engineers in order to ensure the successful launch of new programs
- Prepares, negotiates and executes all contracts according to Deco Automotive policies and procedures, and in accordance with government regulations
- Communicates effectively with all internal departments and team members
- Ensures all purchase orders are entered in a timely manner, while ensuring blanket purchase order pricing is accurate. Reconciles any variances between Purchase Orders and Invoices (Price, Quantity, Inco terms, Terms of Payment)
- Works with our Supplier Quality Engineer arranging and supporting supplier audits as required
- Maintains supplier files, purchase prices, price fluctuations, and quality records
- Resolves material claims with suppliers
- Conducts activities in ERP System and other Information Systems to support purchasing
- Ensures successful and timely implementation of approved engineering changes by closure of all commercial issues with suppliers
- Flexible to procure any emergency requirements in cooperation with requisitioning departments and other supporting segments in the organization to ensure project completion
- Reviews Trade Bulletins on a regular basis to provide awareness of market trends
- Follows and complies with all Operational Procedures and Policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook, Quality and Environmental programs (i.e. TS16949, ISO14001)
- Understands, promotes and lives by Magna's philosophies and Employee Charter
- Adheres to DECO Automotive' s core values; integrity, respect, trust, honesty, fairness and loyalty
- Performs other duties as required
Knowledge and Education
- Post-secondary Degree/Diploma
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, ERP Systems such as CMS, SAP, Trans4M
- Five (5) years to Ten (10)+ years of experience in a progressive Purchasing Department (Tier 1 Automotive Preferred)
Skills and Competencies
- Able to demonstrate examples of Cost Savings Projects for several commodities, the related challenges, and total savings opportunities
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Good mathematical and problem solving skills
- Process knowledge of various core commodities
- Working knowledge of GD&T, PPAP's, APQP, and IATF requirements
- Strong attention to details, motivated to create and find new savings opportunities
- Experience negotiating complicated contract terms and conditions
- Ability to work to meet deadlines and multiple demands
- Ability to uphold confidentiality
- Demonstrates the ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Willingness to travel for training, meetings, and supplier visits (up to 20% of travel)
- Available to travel internationally, and for on call coverage as required