We are seeking an ambitious, dedicated Senior Yard Operations Manager to work at our Halifax, NS location. The individual will report directly to Senior Management and be accountable for all aspects of the operations of the company. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter who thrives on success from accomplishment.
The successful candidate will be responsible to drive the overall success of the operations including traffic/freight logistics, maintenance, and warehouse/yard. Examples of specific duties include (but are not limited to):
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship with the senior management team/owners, finance, administration and sales departments, trucking and bins, trailer and the customer settlement coordinator
- Manage all aspect of operations to optimize efficiency and utilization
- Provide regular status updates to Senior Management team on progress/developments/issues
- Actively identify areas of improvement to advance current processes and procedures
- Understand and convert organizational goals into processes and procedures
- Ensure day-to-day activities are carried out in a safe manner to minimize risk to employees, working environment etc.
- Achievement of performance targets by directing and overseeing the work of employees to achieve maximum efficiency
- Monitor the quality, efficiency, and performance of employees in day-to-day operations of all areas
- Adhere to and monitor compliance of all company policies, procedures, safety policies and business ethics
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Senior Management Team
- Proper tracking of all appointments for loads at mill/ocean freight/rail/land transport, to ensure trailers are booked, material is staged, and subsequently shipped out to meet contract requirements
- Ensure clarity on the plan for contracts being loaded, and/or transported in day(s) and week ahead
- Based on contract requirements, create a mechanism to adequately plan all dates for appointment creation, staging, and shipping material off of property
- Develop, manage and monitor a preventative maintenance program for all equipment.
- Order, purchase, and maintain an inventory of equipment
- Ensure that maintenance program is being implemented and followed
- When required, investigate, review and evaluate equipment replacement needs, and assess purchase, rental or leasing options
- Inventory measurement and monitoring
- Develop and implement plans to efficiently handle each commodity – including purchase, receiving, loading/unloading, sorting, bailing, storing, and shipping
- Ensure uninterrupted and cost-effective production within the plant. This involves scheduling of daily production
- Oversee the processing or testing of materials and facilitates the preparation of out bound shipments
- Working outside on a full-time basis in all weather conditions, with significant walking and moderate physical activity throughout the day.
Hours of Work
- Monday to Friday, 7am-5pm; Saturday 7am-12pm.
- 5-10 years’ experience in a senior management position
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Up to date knowledge of current industry standards, trends and equipment
- Must have excellent leadership and people management skills
- Ability to analyze, develop, establish, and maintain efficient work flow processes
Success in this role requires an experienced leader who is highly motivated by organizational success and is dedicated to driving results. You are able to empower and lead a team towards operational excellence, continuously. You must be able to show leadership while simultaneously working as a team member by sharing your knowledge and expertise to motivate and educate colleagues.
The successful candidate is capable of steering operational initiatives and implementing new business practices and procedures to maximize efficiency throughout the company.
We offer a compensation package that includes group benefits and a competitive salary based on experience.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit their resume by clicking on the link below.