Our Technology team has been on an incredible journey in the last few years by creating first-to-market initiatives for our customers, adding the latest development languages to our tech stack, and establishing Best Buy Canada as the best omnichannel experience within the retail industry.
And we believe empowered people and teams make smarter, faster, and more creative decisions. Which is why they operate in a truly Agile environment, where the distance between any one person and senior leadership is microscopic. Here, you’ll work on something big, small, or super cool, and before you can blink 100,000 people will see it. You’ll create fast, learn fast, and develop fast! Oh, and sometimes you’ll fail fast too. That’s ok. (Honestly.) It’s all part of the process.
Best Buy Canada is seeking a Software Development Manager with a strong technical background and a passion for people leadership. Our technology community is structured around the customer's journey and this position will lead a group of talented developers that support a segment of that journey.
As a Software Development Manager you will...
- Be the people leader of one or more teams of developers. You will inspire and support the team, ensuring that the developers possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to deliver high-quality results
- Mentor and guide developers by providing continuous feedback aimed at helping them improve their technical and leadership skills.
- Oversee recruitment and onboarding for your product family, as well as making sure teams have the right mix of skills and knowledge to meet their objectives.
- Co-create an inclusive, high-performance, and rewarding culture that allows people do their best work.
- Be ready to jump into a sprint or two as needed and contribute to the design and development of complex applications and maintaining or modifying existing ones.
- Partner with other leadership roles within your product family and help to connect people to our purpose, align their goals, and be amazing.
The experience we need...
- 3+ years leading a technical team; supporting employees' learning and development through mentorship and coaching as well as hiring, onboarding, and general team leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in building high quality products in an Agile development environment. We've been told we're extremely Agile - interested?
- Proven hands-on development experience that includes solid understanding of development practices, adherence to code standards, working with source control management, test-driven development, and contribution to the code review process.
- Strong communication skills and top notch interpersonal skills; able to lead with authenticity.
- Bachelors or Masters or equivalent experience in Computer Science or related field