- Entrepreneurial, autonomous, experienced team
- Opportunity to work on major, multibillion-dollar projects
- Chance to have an impact with a successful and growing company
- Flexible hours, located downtown Toronto
Design is powerful. The work we do as engineers, architects, planners and construction professionals reshapes environments, reinvents spaces, and strengthens communities for a better, more sustainable world. None of this happens if we stand still, are complacent, or resign ourselves to accepting the status quo.
At Gannett Fleming, we are looking for talented professionals that will join us as we deliver innovation, leadership, and results to our clients. Since our inception, over 100 years ago, we’ve remained agile, and offer a client-centric focus, that most larger firms simply cannot provide.
We want to do great things; we need your help
As our new Track Engineer, you (and your team) will be substantially responsible for the design process of our major, ongoing track and transit projects.
We are currently engaged in exciting, transformative projects in the GTA with major clients including Metrolinx and the TTC. We’re trying to figure out new ways to get more people in and out of transit stations easily, and your work will contribute directly to that, and other goals.
A majority of your time will be spent on design: generating, iterating, and refining solutions for our clients. Using your deep technical knowledge of existing track technology, as well as your creativity and attention to detail, you’ll produce innovative designs that contribute directly to the success of projects.
There will be a great deal of autonomy in this role. We appreciate engineers who are able to move confidently and independently through various project stages. Due to the size and complexity of these projects, there will be a great deal of communication, iteration, and adaptation during the design process. Succeeding here will require equal parts technical expertise and ingenuity, as the project moves from concept to construction.
Your tasks will include:
- Oversee the activity of junior engineers, both in office and remotely
- Attend project meetings and provide technical expertise for clients, other engineers, and management
- Assist in project management, status reports, etc.
- Determine functional requirements and draft design documents
- Iterate design specifications according to client and senior engineering feedback
- Use modeling software to generate potential designs/simulations
- Produce light rail/heavy rail/station designs
- Consult with senior engineering staff on milestones, project updates, budgets/costing etc.
- Provide consultation services to internal and external stakeholders
- Support other engineering offices remotely
Working with Gannett Fleming
With 40 offices across North America, and a team comprised of 2500 employees globally, Gannett Fleming has a far-reaching impact in the industry. All of our achievements would have been impossible without our exceptional staff. We continue to invest in in hiring, training, and developing our team because we understand the value of retaining top talent. You’ll be joining an exceptional group of engineers who are invested in their work and are committed to delivering quality.
Our Canadian operations continue to evolve, with 50 plus employees, across multiple disciplines, with two offices in the greater Toronto area. You won’t feel like a number at Gannett Fleming. Our leadership team will know your name, know your work, and appreciate everything you contribute to the business.
In addition to a competitive salary, you’ll receive plenty of perks and benefits:
- Competitive benefits package
- 3+ weeks’ vacation
- RRSP matching
- Paid attendance at one conference/professional development event per year
This position entails 40 hours per week, and generally requires availability between 9am and 3pm with flexibility. There will also be occasional overtime during peak periods.
- Degree/college program in a relevant engineering field (civil, mechanical, electrical, structural)
- Professional designation (P. Eng. or similar) would be an asset
- 7+ years’ experience in railroad engineering for light rail, heavy rail, and/or streetcar transit projects
- Knowledge and experience in railroad/transit planning, as well as conceptual, preliminary and detailed design of rail transit and railroad alignments for transit systems
- Knowledge of track design relationships with systems engineering, drainage, utilities and operations
- Railway or transit experience, working for a class 1 railroad or transit agency, would be an asset
- In-depth understanding of design processes and operations modeling
- Experience with large scale transportation/transit projects
- High proficiency with AutoCAD and Civil 3D
- Proficiency with Microstation, InRoads, InRail, and MS Office (especially Excel and PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with modeling software (RTC, OpenTrack, or similar)
How to Apply
Please submit your application online, via the Fitzii platform.
We strive to build diverse teams that reflect the community, and encourage applications from underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us using the “Help” button.
We will review all applications, and look forward to hearing from you.