The Traffic Coordinator is responsible for the safe and efficient planning of the division’s barges. This includes daily communication with customers, terminals and other stakeholders. A high level of attention to detail is required to perform this job successfully.
- Creating the most efficient tug & barge dispatch for maximum profit taking into consideration multiple factors including: weather, tides, customer requirements, labour and others
- Monitoring tides and equipment ready times to ensure on time scheduling with loading and unloading terminals
- Ensuring the ordered cargo volumes for petroleum and chemical customers is communicated correctly to the barge operators.
- Daily contact with customers including updating customers on arrival and departure schedules
- Dispatching and monitoring barge operator time, repair and maintenance
- Communicating plans across many stakeholders
- Monitoring daily positions of tugs and barges
- Scheduling and dispatching of unionized barge operators
- Creating and updating daily orders for the tug dispatch department
- Financial duties including cost review and invoice creation/approval
- After-hours on call duty may be required
- Other duties as required
Education and Experience
- Completion of a post-secondary Diploma or Degree is required, with preference given to education involving Marine Transportation or Logistics.
- Two to five year’s experience with marine or other transportation industry or with transportation logistics.
- Experience and knowledge of the oil and gas industry is desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Excellent customer service orientation and an ability to build strong, long term relationships with customers
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Thoroughness and a high level of attention to detail
- Experience and knowledge of the geographical area of the US and Canadian West Coast
- Computer skills in word/excel and PowerPoint.
- Interpersonal skills to work as a team
- Background of Seaspan’s fleet and business is a definite asset.