Position Title: Welder
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Jastram is a significant and growing player in international commercial, superyacht and naval shipbuilding.
If you are a high performance welder who takes pride in your work and enjoys challenging and exacting work in a team with like minded professionals then Jastram Engineering might be just the place for you.
You will need to be able to read drawings and take or read measurements to plan layouts and procedures for building tillers, cylinder rod assemblies, portions of vessel structures and HPU tanks all within maritime classification society rules.
We have a progressive management team, pay competitively and our facility in North Vancouver is a bright and well-lit, modern and is well maintained. Our employee-run safety committee is a key part of the way we do business that is reflected in a very low lost time injury rate.
- Determine the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements
- Set up components for welding according to specifications (e.g. cut material with powered saws to match measurements)
- Operate angle grinders to prepare the parts that must be welded
- Align components using calipers, rulers etc. and clamp pieces
- Weld components using semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead)
- Proficient in Back Gouging
- Meet all deadlines as set out in work orders and work standards
- Repair machinery and other components by welding pieces and filling gaps
- Test and inspect welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws
- Maintain equipment in a condition that does not compromise safety
- Be vigilant about safety and ensure you maintain a safe work environment
- Maintain cleanliness of work area
- Cutting material using manual and automatic saws
- Assemble hydraulic products such as cylinders, valves, manifolds, helm pumps, reservoirs, and pumps/motors according to engineering design
- Test hydraulic components per inspection test procedures ensuring the quality standards are met and test records completed
- Other duties as required
- S class welding for semi-auto MCAW / FCAW, flat position (horizontal and vertical position a bonus)
- FCAW ticket
- Experience with multiple pass welding with back gouging
- Fluent in English and has good communication skills
- Demonstrates a high level of organization and attention to detail
- Practical problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work shifts as we are a 24 hour operation
- May be required to work overtime with pay per BC Labour Standards from time to time.
While we thank everyone for their interest in working with Jastram, all applicants must currently reside in the lower mainland and have a work permit or be eligible to work in Canada.